Tips Tuesday – Living Plastic Free Part 3
Of course @HHDS we are doing our best to stay Green and Conscious with everything we do, but we can ALWAYS do more! I love searching for safer options! If you are like me and you too are inspired by the commitment others have to making a difference you will enjoy this weeks lists to achieve Plastic Free Living! If you come across any other great tips please share!
- Check labels of personal care products!
Did you know some facial scrubs and other personal care products contain tiny plastic beads? Avoid anything with “polyethylene” listed as an ingredient.
- Use bar soap instead of liquid hand soap.
Bar soap gets rinsed off every time you use it. The plastic pump? Not so much. Where do you think the most germs are accumulating?
- Give up shampoo in plastic bottles.
- Try hair salves and pomades in metal tins or glass jars. (Like our HHDS Organics option, they are also refillable!)
- Color hair at a professional salon like HHDS that uses Ammonia Free colour AND responsibly disposes of the residual colour and packaging with Green Circle Salon waste management!.
- Baking soda is the best deodorant EVER.
Instead of deodorant in a plastic container, use baking soda mixed with a few drops of tea tree oil applied to dry underarms with a reusable cotton round. It works better than any commercial deodorant I have ever used. Seriously. If you don’t think baking soda deo is your thing, there are other options.
- Use soap instead of canned shave cream.
- Choose lotions and lip balms in plastic-free containers.
- Switch from a plastic razor to a second hand safety razor or at least to minimize a reusable handle and disposable blades, better still take advantage of Weds Wax Day 50% off Brazilians and 10% off all other waxing.
- Use less plastic tooth paste/powder, toothbrush, and floss. make your own with coconut oil and baking soda
- Use coconut oil and baking soda all the time for many personal care needs!
- Choose toilet paper that’s not wrapped in plastic.
Seventh Generation recycled individually wrapped toilet paper can be ordered by the case through Amazon.com. It comes in a cardboard box without any plastic wrapping. Evergreen and Bumboosa are also plastic-free brands.
- Use plastic-free feminine hygiene products
14 Look into plastic-free sunscreen options.
I’ve found two great plastic-free sunscreens: Balm! Baby and Avasol.
- Choose a plastic-free wooden hair brush.
Medication and Healthcare
- Find Do-It-Yourself alternatives for over-the-counter remedies. Essential oils, Crystals and energy work as well as other home remedies lemon and honey, ginger and many more!
- Use handkerchiefs instead of paper tissue.
- Bring your own water bottle — even on the plane!
- Bring your own snacks.
- Bring your own utensils..
- Bring your own travel mug.
- Don’t forget your headphones.
- Bring your own personal care products.
- Refuse the mini bar.
Hope you enjoyed this weeks installment for healthier Plastic Free Living! Just writing this Blogg is helping me stay accountable I hope you too are finding it’s helping you stay motivated! until next week! In the mean time enjoy this article, it will leave you inspired by the efforts of the next generation!